Normally we like our steaks whole and grilled…but I decided for an inexpensive dinner I was going to make country fried steak (also called chicken fried steak). It was a HIT and so much easier than I thought it was going to be.
Generously pepper and salt the meat on both sides.
Dredge the meat in the flour and completely coat. Then dredge in the mixed eggs and again through the flour.
Place in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes.
Fry in the oil until done and golden brown. Remove all but about 2 tbsp of oil from the pan. Spread the flour in the pan evenly and whisk continuously until golden brown. Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously as it thickens.
Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans to round it out- YUM!
- For meat:
- 1½ lb cube steak
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- For Sauce:
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp pepper.
- Mix 3 eggs well in a shallow bow.
- Season both sides of cube steaks.
- Dredge steaks in flour, then egg mix and then in flour mixture again.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet or deep skillet over medium heat.
- Fry Steaks about 8 minutes until done and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp butter to pan with the oil and melt.
- Lower heat to low heat.
- Add flour to pan, whisking continuously.
- Slowly add 2 cups milk into the roux and whisk constantly until it begins to boil and thicken.
- Cook one additional minute and remove from the heat.