Day 14: Coffee!
A cup of plain black coffee runs $1.39 at the McDonald’s around me. At Starbucks it is about $1.60 for an equivalent size (Grande). This is about 16 ounces.
So let’s make some assumptions:
- We will use 16 oz of water.
- We will use 1 oz of coffee.
- Coffee costs about 25¢ an ounce (reg. price Store Brand or coupon+sale price of a National Brand)
- A coffee filter costs about .03 each
- The water costs about .01
So all told it costs about 29¢ a cup to make a 16oz cup of coffee at home versus $1.39 at a fast food place. Even adding sugar and creamer- you come out far ahead making coffee at home. Let’s look at the cost over the course of a month assuming each morning we stop and get a cup of coffee.
Let’s do the math over the course of a year! It would cost $105.85 to make 365 cups of coffee at home. It would cost $507.35 to buy that same coffee out!