I needed a small bench for my entryway and I lucked out and found one a a local thrift store. I did a little sanding and painting and in no time at all I have a new bench!
- Paint (Color of your choice in spray or brush) I used some paint I had bought for a bathroom.
- Tung Oil (I prefer this to other types of sealants)
- Steel Wool
- Stencil (If desired)
- Remove all hardware and put in boiling water if it is covered with paint (This will make the paint come off easily) otherwise just clean it up
- Sand all areas
- Paint the desired areas and let dry
- Apply Tung Oil using cheesecloth to desired areas (Put the cheesecloth is a plastic bag to reuse it)
- Gently sand areas in between coats with steel wool pads and wipe off the dust (To get a thick, shiny surface it will take about 6 coats, but it dries very quickly so you can put several coats on in one day)
- Apply stencils if desired
- If you put any stencils on areas where there is Tung Oil put an additional coat of Tung Oil on top of the stenciling after it has dried
I put some gray and white felt on the inside of the bench and I got a nice small bench for my entry way.