Fair warning that these are SPICY. My husband says it’s a GOOD spicy but keep in mind he dips everything in hot sauce- so for him to say it’s spicy means it’s REALLY spicy.
Back story to this recipe- my daughter planted a cucumber seed this spring. She was so excited Before I realized it, she had planted it right beside the back deck. I honestly didn’t think it would survive but survive it did! It took over the entire area. We never saw a single cucumber. We saw flowers bloom and disappear but never any cucumbers. We thought it was just a dud plant…until the other morning!
She found 4 HUGE cucumbers on her plant! She was so excited (that’s her OMGosh face). So I’ve been coming up with ways to use these before we find 4 more!
We were having blackened shrimp for dinner and when plating it they looked pretty sad and lonely so I decided to put the shrimp on TOP of the cucumber slices I had set aside for the dinner salad just to give the plate a little color, to take the pictures for the post. When my husband came by he snatched one off the plate- cucumber and all and began RAVING about how delicious it was! So what I was using as a garnish became part of the dish. He was standing guard over the serving plate until I was done taking pictures and he ate them all just standing there.
Again I warn- these are spicy. As I was cooking , the steam alone had me sweating so proceed with caution!
- 2 Cucumbers, cut thick
- 2 Limes
- Lime Zest
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb deveined and peeled shrimp
- 2 tbsp butter
- Combine thyme, oregano, basil, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, 1 tsp sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes in a bowl. stir to combine.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl and coat with spice mixture.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp slowly and cook 2-3 minutes per side. It will crisp up and brown.
- Place 2-3 shrimp, depending on size, on top of each cucumber slice.
- Squeeze lime juice over the slices generously.
- Zest a lime over top of the slices and shrimp for garnish.
- If necessary, top lightly with salt.
- Serve hot.