Ok y’all I went through THREE pizza dough balls to figure out the perfect way to get a thick crunchy crust on this bread while still having some flavor and I think I found it!
I used the pizza dough balls from Harris Teeter’s Deli and I did some trial and error and this final one came out SO delicious that I may have had several slices…all in the name of taste testing of course! Here’s how I made it…..and I might have to make a few more for dinner this weekend.
This bread has a THICK, crunchy crust and a soft interior and the Italian spices and salt on the top add the perfect flavor! Allow it to rise a LOT, when you move it it will fall some.
There is no measurement for the seasonings ( sorry I’m a shaker not a measurer) so just give a few shakes evenly across the pan (remember the pna is HOT so be careful.
- 1 ball of pizza dough, thawed
- olive oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Sea Salt
- Parchment Paper
- Smear a small amount of olive oil on parchment paper
- place in the dutch oven, and place thawed dough on paper to rise.
- Place plastic wrap on top, touching the dough to rise
- Allow to rise in a draft free location 6-10 hours
- Once risen, carefully remove the dough and paper from the dutch oven.
- Preheat oven to 425
- Place the empty and uncovered dutch oven into the hot oven and allow to heat for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove dutch oven (it will be HOT) and carefully place the parchment paper and dough into oven.
- Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasonings and a small amount of sea salt.
- Cover with lid and return to oven.
- Bake 45 minutes
- Remove the lid and bake an addition 15 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Remove bread from pot and allow to cool 15 minutes before slicing.