We went out to eat to celebrate my twins’ 9th birthday and I got White Mac & Cheese that was OH SOOOO good. It was delicious. But having to pay an extra to get a “premium side” hurt my frugal heart so I decided I had to come up with my own at-home version so I wouldn’t be tempted!
I used Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar and it was really good – and minimal ingredients means it is easy too!
You don’t need to bake this- it is ooey-gooey goodness right out of the pan but I like the crunchy bubbly cheese on top so I tossed it into a pan and put in the oven just a few minutes.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz pasta of choice
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat. Add salt, pepper, pepper flakes and garlic.
- When hot, add cheese a handful at a time whisking until melted before adding more cheese.
- Add pasta to sauce and stir until combined.
- If desired, place in an oven safe dish and top with more shredded cheese and bake until the top cheese bubbles.